Changing your accent is also known as "accent modification" or "accent reduction." We can provide services to speakers who want to modify or reduce their accent. People who wish to receive these types of services may include the following:
• Non-native English speakers, English Language Learners
• Speakers who want to reduce a regional accent
• Business and medical professionals who want to improve their communication skills because of an accent
• Actors who need to learn a new accent for a role or performance
Accents reflect the unique characteristics and background of a person. Many people take great pride in their accents. However, some people may have difficulty communicating because of their accent. These difficulties include the following:
• People not understanding you
• Avoiding social interaction with those who may not understand you
• Frustration from having to repeat yourself all the time
• People focusing on your accent more than on what you are trying to say
• These types of communication problems may have negative effects on job performance, educational advancement, and everyday life activities. It may also negatively affect your self-esteem if you are having trouble communicating because of an accent. For all of these reasons, some people want to modify or change their accent.
Effective communication in the work place is essential within any business organization. Improving an employee’s ability to communicate helps them to become more confident and successful in the organization.
When workplace communication is improved the employee reduces opportunities for misunderstanding and misinterpretations. They will also consistently deliver accurate information, thereby providing greater clarity, increased productivity, improved customer relations, and better informational exchange between team members.
Accent modification training is an effective means to deliver a clearer message and helps to create ease of understanding. There is evidence that strong regional accents can cause difficulties in the workplace, especially with clients from other parts of the country.
For more information on how you can improve your business communication skills contact The Corporate Speech Pathology Network (CORSPAN) at http://www.corspan.org/media.php
Corporate Speech Trainers (also called Corporate Speech Pathologists) can help employees thrive and grow within your business or organization. The result of professional speech training can be: improved speaking confidence; clearer pronunciation; more natural speech rhythm, voice inflection, and cadence; and more effective communication skills as a team member. When communication improves in the workplace, relationships and rapport often improve between co-workers, as well as between employees and customers or clients. In the end, everyone benefits and your business is likely to see improved customer loyalty and a better “bottom line.”Benefits to Your Company
Improving an employee’s ability to communicate will help him or her be comfortable, confident and successful within your organization. And for managers, the ability to be clearly understood can also reduce the turnover of the people reporting to them.Improved Profit
Growing a business, reducing costs, managing people, sharing new ideas, reducing turnover – all require effective communication.Professional Development
Your company will be in a better position to meet future challenges and readily capitalize on the talent already within your organization when current employees achieve better business communication and speech clarity skills. They will be better equipped to advance in their careers to positions of greater responsibility. Promoting from within the company can reduce training costs and recruiting fees.